Monday, June 20, 2016

Summer is here

Summer is here!


I can't believe Summer starts tomorrow! Time is just flying by so fast, hard to believe that the kids are out of school and we are at the half way point for the year.

Well we have had a few changes I think I had told everyone that we sold our 3 dairy goats and gained a miniature horse, if not this is what we did.


Ms. Ayla has always wanted a horse but since we live on only one acre a full sized horse was out of the question. Her name is Buttons and she stands 30inches at the shoulder. Perfect for a little girl to learn about equine medicine. 
No worries we did keep Bella and Sparkles.
Bella

Sparkles
We have had them now for about 7 years, so they are pretty much family.
Hershey Duck has finally gotten comfortable with me chasing her down with a camera. She is such a great duck, unless you are collecting eggs anywhere near her. Then be prepared to be jumped from behind and slapped by some pretty tough wings, other than that she is an angel.

The barn edition is on its way to being complete. We probably have another 2 weeks and it will be done.

The old part of the barn will be turning into a chicken coop with a hayloft. Be nice to shut that part down and start rebuilding it.


The garden boxes are working out great! We are cleaning the barn and dumping all barn waste in between all the boxes, to help with weed control. Whatever does grow we are able to weed eat and not worry about damaging plants!



All of our trees are filled with fruit again which is great but if we do not get a good rain our peaches will not fill out. 
You never get the perfect weather for plants, but I am praying for a little rain to fill these peaches out. Last year if you remember we didn't get one peach because of a late cold snap, so we are in need of peaches to can for this year.

Pears and apples this year look like they will be good this year, but we will see how they do with all this heat. Keeping our fingers crossed.


With all of this hot weather and little rain, I had to get a pool for the ducks. Our Spring has dried up a lot and is a mud pit, so we now own a pool for 2 ducks!

Ms. Hershey and Lady Hawk, hiding in the shade.

Baby Starlings are in the Orchard today getting a lesson on hunting bugs.

They are cute but loud!

Ms. Larry

Ms. Silver saw me with the camera, so she had to investigate the problem. She is so funny. I can't believe she is 7 years old this year. Still sassy as ever.

Yellow Columbine

Cosmos

Like I needed anything else to do here on Cranberry Acre but I decided I did. I am now recycling bottles and making them into woodwick soy candles. These will soon be available in my Etsy store or at any location I am at. I now have a booth at the Briar Patch Mountain Marketplace in Galax VA, 24333. Come check it out if you are in town, its on Mainstreet!
 Hope everyone has a great beginning to their Summer and stay cool.




















No comments:

Post a Comment