Monday, April 28, 2014

The Week of Tears on Cranberry Acre

It was a long week.
 
Cranberry Acre has been in mourning since Wednesday over the decision to put our dear and loyal friend to sleep on Friday.
Corona was our dog for almost 16 years. She was the best dog I have ever owned and known in my years as a Vet Technician. I have never felt such loss and emptiness in a home before. We haven't healed from the loss this weekend, but we have tried to keep things moving here so we don't get lost in the sorrow of it all. She will be missed more than she probably knew she would be.
She now gets to spend her days under a Maple tree in the Orchard. We planted a Forsythia bush on the grave so she will shine every Spring!
 
With death there comes life. I found Friday in our Spring many and I mean many, salamander eggs. I could only smile at the thought of little babies swimming around down there in the Spring, and I needed that more than anything on that day. I have only ever seen them in books, but got the pleasure of seeing them in person. So cool to see Nature at it's best.
The Gala apple trees are in full bloom and I'm so excited to see all three of our trees just covered in pink and white flowers. The bees were so busy this weekend and the trees were just humming with their sounds of joy. If everything goes well we will have applesauce and apple butter for the Fall. My fingers are crossed that the frost will stay away for another few days.
 
With everything going on this past week, I never got to do anything in the garden. I wanted to spend as much time as I could with Corona before Friday, so I decided it could wait until this week to plant. I am happy to say that all my Tomato starts are up in the Cold frame and I should be able to plant the little buggers sometime around the 2nd week in May!
Saturday after we buried Corona we decided to relocate some Blue Spruce that we had planted last year in a spot they didn't really like so much. We know this because we started out with 13 trees and ended up with only four survivors. Hopefully in this new ground they will be much happier. I believe last year the other spring on the property surfaced more than it had in previous years and made the roots of these pines rot! Lesson learned but gosh that hurt to loss that many in one year.
Ayla was all about the digging and even after we got done planting the trees asked if I had anywhere else for her to dig so I told her the garden. She dug for hours! I figured since I hadn't planted anything yet, it was a safe place for her to dig.
 
The Orchard now has four Blue Spruce by the fence line. Figured it would be a nice privacy fence for when we build an out door area in the Orchard. It will be awhile for that but, all in time.
 
Little update on those cups and saucers I had purchased at a yard sale, they are now bird feeders. After messing up on three, I think I finally have the hang of it now!
I added a silver spoon to this one so the birds can sit on it to eat. This one I will keep!
 
I also experimented with drawing on them and baking the cups, to set the drawing on them. So many ways to dress these little bird feeders up, I just love the possibilities.
 
Soon I will have some of these available to purchase on my Etsy store but wanted everyone to see what I had finally done with them!
 
Yesterday I finished a Market Bag. This one is available on my Etsy store for purchase.
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment