Friday, April 18, 2014

A Very cold morning!

Mother Nature has gone nuts!
 
 
It has been pretty crazy here in Virginia with the weather. One morning you wake up and it's 50 some degrees out and then this morning I woke up and it was only 39 degrees out! Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday we woke up to freezing weather.
My poor Lilac I believe did not make it. I was looking forward to it's blooms, but I found it all droopy Monday morning. I also lost my Japanese Magnolia, which was quit sad. I am crossing my fingers that the peach tree was done with it blooms before we got our frosty mornings, this we will just have to wait and see. I am very happy that the pears and apples have waited to bloom. There is hope for fruit from these trees this year, as long as we don't get another freeze anytime soon.
Monday morning it was so cold and rainy, that not one animal came out of the barn! Even the chickens stayed in.
The only Cranberry Critters to go outside were the Stogies! They also used their shelter for the first time in a year of it being out there in the orchard.
I heard them screaming when the rain started and went out to see where they were and to my surprise I saw a little head peep out at me from their shelter. Maybe they aren't as dumb as I thought.
So with all this rain, I decided it would be a great day to go to Goodwill, one of my most favorite places to find treasures! Glad I went, because I found an old ironing board. I have always wanted one of these,
but every time I've seen one they have been somewhere around $65 to $90 dollars. I got so lucky with this and spent $25 for this one! So excited in using this.
I just need to get a cover for it, which I will need to make, because it is not a standard size. They just don't make them like this anymore.
Also on my adventure to the Goodwill, I found half a chicken!
I just couldn't leave it there, it was an oddball that needed a home, so it came home with me for $1.00. I will eventually make it a nest to sit on.
Ms. Griffin during feeding Wednesday night, decided she would really start acting as the princes of the pasture.
She walked around the yard with her crown for a few minutes. Her reign did not last long, her brother Luther decided he wanted to try it and knocked it off her head!
Never a dull moment her on Cranberry Acre.
Ms. Pico decided to be a cat today and was caught hunting rats in the barn. This cat just doesn't have it in her to hunt and if it wasn't for us feeding her, she would probably starve. No joke, she is almost 12 years old and still really doesn't know what to do.
 
New Project !
 
I wanted to do something special for the door leading to the laundry room, so I have drawn this silhouette of a woman doing laundry. I have decided I will paint the image on the glass first to see if I really like it there. If so I believe I will glass etch the image to it.
I wanted something there, but a curtain would block the sun when it was coming through the window, so I believe this might be a good fix. We will see.
When things get boring for Ms. Griffin, she starts the chicken chasing game. She will sneak up on these poor birds and bite their tail feathers. She then starts to chase them until they run under the barn. It only lasts a few mins, but it seems to do the trick for Griffin and she will lay down to wait for them to emerge from the barn, so she can do it again. She is such a funny little goat.
 
 
Things on the farm are quite, I think we are all waiting for Mother Nature to decide on when she really wants to start Spring. I have held off on some planting because of the cold, I will plant my lettuce next week along with my spinach and kale. Potatoes will also be going in next week. The thermal temp seems to be better, just the frost that gets the top of the ground. It doesn't seem to last long enough to effect the soil temp much so planting potatoes will happen very soon.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment