Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Will the cold ever end?

Cold mornings!
 
First let me say, I am glad there is no snow, but the frost is killing me and the lack of a good Weather Man, also is killing me.
For the past few days when the Weather Man says 38 degrees, you cover your plants. I am crossing my fingers that my raspberry plants are okay, because  I did not expect a freeze and they got nipped. We will see
Tuesday the girls stayed under their heat lamp it was so cold and wet. I would have done the same thing, only thing is they looked like they were in the red district taking this picture, so I had to take another picture so they didn't look so scandalous!

Despite all the freezing happening here on Cranberry Acre, plants are growing and are growing well. My transplant of Sage is coming back and
some Peonies are coming back that we had relocated to another spot on the property. One of the relatives said that Mrs. Manning just loved her flowers, so in honor of her  I moved them to a safe area to grow again, they had been getting mowed over year after year!
This morning the Stooges and Ms. Red were reluctant to come out, it was too cold!
( Mo with his good eye )

They are still in the coop waiting for the sun.
As for Ms. Silver, she has found a new grazing buddy with the changes in the pasture.
Mr. Luther and Ms. Silver stick together when they go out to the farther end of the pasture, was funny to watch the two keep an eye on each other.
 
Picture of the Day!
I had a camera glued to my face this morning and Ms. JoJo, wanted some attention, so what do you do if your a goat? You chew on your owners camera to get her attention! How Funny.
This morning it was great to see the flowers on the peach tree, but also frightening to think that the past few nights it has froze. With it being so cold my fear is the blooms will freeze and also the bees will not have time to pollinate them, due to the cold. It is all such a game of chance when you decide to start a garden. A wait and see game that Mother Nature gets to hold the reigns on, sucks really!
My Sparrow that I have been trying to get a picture of finally made an appearance. Her mouth was full of feathers from the Stooges! She is so cute and her husband made an appearance also but was to quick to catch this morning with a camera.
 Was a pretty morning except for the cold!
 
Seed starts!
Yes I finally made it outside this morning to start some tomatoes, some eggplant and some peppers! Took me forever, yes it was cold, but the sun was out and I thought I could stand it. I really didn't last long out there at all, but I did get everything planted except for a group of tomatoes, which I will show you how I did these when it gets a little warmer today!
I use about everything to plant seedlings, and everything seems to work. If it holds soil, you have a winner. Now you can get some expensive things to start seedlings or use what you have around the house. I have bought a Soil Block from Johnny Select ( sits in the back of this picture ) and I like it but go back to the old reliable things I've used for years. Like Yogurt cups!
I also use old pizza boxes and strawberry boxes are my favorite! Strawberry boxes, are their own green houses when you close them up!
I am planting tomatoes in this Strawberry box, so I am going to crush up
some eggshells and on lay them on top of some soil. Tomatoes love calcium so why not start them with it? I have done where you put eggshells in the hole before you plant the seedling, I do both of these methods, couldn't hurt!
I also use paper eggshell cartons for seedlings. Very easy, again I am planting tomatoes so I have crushed a little eggshell on the bottom of each hole, then cover with a little soil and then put your seeds in them, usually about 2 to each hole. When your plants start to grow and you are ready to plant I just rip them apart, then rip a small hole in the bottom of it and plant!
 
When using yogurt cups I just punch a couple of holes in the bottom for drainage and then fill half way up with soil, place about 4 seeds( if peppers, tomatoes, or eggplant) and cover with soil, then place in the cold frame to sprout!
Here is everyone getting ready to be covered by the cold frame! Tucked in for probably some more cold mornings.
The soil I use, is a mixture of my compost and a bag on garden soil. I have never had any problems sprouting seedlings from it. I do know some people prefer the method that Eliot Coleman uses in his book, The New Organic Grower, but it was a little pricey and I like to use what I have instead of going out, buying stuff to make the perfect soil mix for seedlings. I do love his way, just financially it's better for me to use the soil I have. Use what you got!
  
We are getting our first till in for the season. My husband was out eraly this morning tilling the ground for us.  
 
The soil looks amazing this year! I'm so excited. During the late Fall and Winter we have been spreading out the barn shavings and Guinea pig cage shavings on top of the ground, also adding our coal and ash bucket to the soil. The chickens and the Stooges have worked all Winter digging in it and also spreading it around. Looks as if it has paid off. We have so much clay in our soil that I thought it would be impossible to get dark brown fluffy soil, well this year we got it!
Wouldn't be a work day on Cranberry Acre, without the 2 inspectors! Anytime there is a change these 2 make sure that we are doing it right or get in the middle of what ever we are doing to help. Goats are very funny critters!
 
A change
After much debate with myself, I have come to the conclusion that even me writing every Monday, Wednesday and Friday, is too much for me at the moment. I have taken on a part time job with the local historical society and that day is now on Wednesday. I am going to now do my Blog on Monday and Friday. Like I said before, I'm new at this and I believe this will work better for me, my family and of course Cranberry Acre. I do hope you all understand and will stick with me through the adjustment!
Update
The "I'm so Pretty" apron is now available in my Etsy store.

No comments:

Post a Comment