Monday, May 4, 2015

Dealing with loss

We didn't get them all

A few weeks ago we had captured our egg thief and released him in the woods far, far away. I should have known better but for what ever reason I did not set the trap again. Two days later I woke to the horror. Ms. Copper, one of our beloved Silkie chickens, decided that she was not coming in for bedtime, which was not uncommon for her. She loved being out when everyone was inside and would eventually go into the barn to roost. I usually would go out and catch her late at night to put her to bed, but again for whatever reason did not that night, thinking things would be as normal as they had been in the past. In this decision  came the death of Ms. Copper. We had another raccoon that had come in and chased her down and dragged her off. I was destroyed with guilt for not going out there like I had other nights. 
I wanted a dead raccoon! We set the trap and we did catch it but I did not kill it. Nature dictates the behavior of these animals, so really it was doing what it was born to do, so we released the coon where the other one was released. One of the hardest things for me not to kill this animal who hunted down my sweet bird, but it was the right thing to do.

I will miss that little fluffy butt and her oh so big bird attitude.

We also had a loss with our adopted guinea Ms. Red. She hadn't been feeling well and I thought she was egg bound. Brought her in and worked on her kept her separated her just in case from the flock. Ms. Red seemed to be doing better but we found her dead in her cage. This loss was a little easier but still hard. Living on a farm there is life and then there is death. It's hard for me to deal with but our children are very affected by it. They play with these animals and develop friendships with them, so losing them is hard. Ms. Copper was the hardest to deal with because she was not sick, but stolen from us. We will miss both of these birds very much and were glad that they were ours for the time they gave us.

Okay no more yucky bad, let's move to the good things!
Ms. Fudge is out and about now. After being pushed down the stairs by the guineas she has been living in a cage in my laundry room. She was very upset and just not happy. She would lay an egg every day but would look out the screen door at the other chickens and get upset. She still is limping but she is fast!!! I think she may limp for the rest of her life, but she is alive and now very happy. She is unable to perch right, so she goes to bed in a cage in the nursery. She is so much happier about her living arrangements now.

Ms. Sunshine was a little girl who broke her beak as a chick. She is doing great and has become the guardian of the flock. My son Wyatt, will go out sometimes to pick up a chicken and she gets soooo upset and will attack Wyatt until he drops the chicken. Such a funny bird, she has adjusted very well to her crooked beak and has no other problems at all.

Ms Lovey duck after her bath in the spring!

Ms. Curly Butt decided this morning that she would make sure what I was doing. You never know when you might need a nosy chicken.

We have a new scratching post! I moved a sink to the garden area and now the goats are using the hose hanger as a scratching post. I'm waiting to find it on the ground when I come home.

What a life! Ms. Jojo has the best life now and so glad we could give her this home. Pain in the butt and just a great personality. Can't wait to bred her again to get babies and milk!

Behind on the planting, but the weather hasn't been the best for planting. This weekend we are going to work on that and also....

we are getting rid of the cold frame and make it the pumpkin patch.

My horseradish had gotten a life of it's own. It has gotten huge!!!

Been busy in the garage and the sewing room. We have many ...

new items for sale on the Etsy store. 

I thought I was done with new designs for aprons but I had a request for a kitchen apron that was like my garden apron, soooo here it is and this is now available on the store also.
Farmer's Market in Independence and Wytheville have started so I will be there in person. Independence Market is Friday 9 to 2PM and Wytheville is on Saturday's 9 to 1 PM. Go check them out if you get a chance. I will keep everyone updated on where you can see me and our stuff at local shows. The season is upon us and it's going to be busy.

















No comments:

Post a Comment