Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Sorry a day late

Just lost track of time.

We had another wedding this past weekend and it threw me off. Plus we have had so much rain I haven't been able to do anything with the garden. I had thought about having Wayne build us an Ark if this keeps up, but the weather man says today is the last day of steady rain. I know we need it, just makes for a hard time with all the garden work that needs to be done.


We had a pretty exciting Monday last week after I wrote the Blog. One of our baby Buffs, AKA Sunshine, was found by the kids with her beak cracked. It wasn't broken all the way through so I was able to push it almost back to it's normal position. So we now have a chicken with a crooked beak. I had cleaned up the wound and she spent the next three days in the laundry room to heal. She is now out with the group having a grand ole' time. She eats fine and seems to be okay with her new fashion statement. The other chickens don't even notice.

Peach Butter
I finally had started to make peach butter this week. I usually, because I'm so busy, start my Peach Butter in the Crock Pot and then move it to the stove to finish and this is what I did this year!
This is what I used to make my Peach Butter, it's so easy really just need peaches and sugar!
For a 4 quart crock pot I usually do two batches of butter at one time, but for one batch, that makes about 4 pints, you will need about:
18 medium sized peaches 
4 cups of sugar
That is it! Very simple. Now for the fun part.
You need to wash and blanch your peaches. Blanch meaning to boil the peaches ( Like tomato preparation, before canning), so you can get the skins off. I am not patient with this and tend to burn my fingers a lot, so be careful. I usually put ice in my water to help cool the peaches so I can get the skins off easier.
This I think is the longest process, but has to be done!

I then add the peaches to my crock pot and add the sugar. If you like spicy Fall flavor stuff, add some spices to it. I always add 1/2 teaspoon of ginger, 1 teaspoon nutmeg and cinnamon, to my Peach Butter.
Now I usually end up putting this on the setting WARM for about two days and then transfer to a pot on the stove( setting the lowest you can go so you do not burn it), to get the rest of the water out of it. I stir the crock pot and then the pot about every two to three hours.
Once it thickens use a ladle and put into hot pint jars or jelly jars, which ever you prefer. Making sure to leave about a 1/4 inch pf head-space. Adjust the two piece cap and then process in a boiling water canner for about 10 mins. As I said pretty easy.

I am canning mine this morning since it is raining again. 
Sorry that there wasn't much to say today, with the wedding and rain, just was not able to get everything I wanted to take pictures of taken. Cross fingers for next week.


No comments:

Post a Comment