Monday, July 28, 2014

Need to be canning!!!

Beans, peaches, potatoes, oh my!!!
 
 
We are bursting at the seams, but have really no time to do what we need to do. My beans are done for the year and I am having to can the last of them today. The Japanese Beetles finally got to us and there was really nothing we could do. The Stooges tried to eat what they could, but still not enough, so the beans are done. We have been plagued with these little stinkers this year, that is the Japanese Beetles. I had to pull the peaches off the tree to save what we had, because the Beetles were on them also.
 I walked the garden and noticed we are going to have to get the potatoes out of the ground soon, so I will also be canning these too. I have found over the years that it is just easier to store if I can my potatoes, plus it is sooooo much easier to make mashed potatoes in a hurry! This week will be a busy week of canning food. I will post Tutorials on the canning process and us making Peach Butter. That is a Favorite in our family. If you haven't tried it before I think you are missing out on one of the sweetest spreads you can make!
I have been pretty busy in the sewing room also, wanted to give people a sneak peek of the patch quilt apron,  in the style of the, I'm so Pretty Apron. I so would love to keep this one, but once she is finished she will be up for sale. I just love all the colors in this one. I have been behind in posting pictures of the items for sale, but will be updating that page very soon. I have help now for that task and am very happy to have found that help so soon.
 
Have I ever told you how much I love Goodwill? I walked in the other day to just look but came home with this. Looks to be a Stained Glass shade. I do not know who I was trying to fool by thinking I could just walk around and not buy anything! $3.00 is all I paid for this gem, I love finding things like this. Thank you Goodwill!
 
Poor little babies! It has been so hot recently that these guys have been laying soft shell eggs. I know it happens with the heat, but it's kind of sad to see them try to lay on the egg and have it crack. Hopefully pretty soon things will cool done and it will get back to normal for them. The larger chickens seem to be doing okay with the heat, but I guess these little guys, Bless their hearts are having a hard time of it!
 
So I did a post a few weeks back where the kids took photos of Cranberry Acre from their view and I got such a response on how wonderful it was, that we decided to let them go and take pictures again! This is what we got from both Ayla and Wyatt.
 
 
Ayla
 
Short Stuff and Ayla's baby Coal!
 
The old Spring house site.
 
Jojo eating my Chestnut Tree!
 
Wren house!
 
Good Morning JoJo!
 
Our Barn Cat, Ms. Pico!
 
Our crazy squash plant that lives on the chicken yard fence!
 
Our grapes are turning!!!
 
Daddy's Willow Tree.
 
And Ms. Silver trying to hatch Guinea eggs.
 
Wyatt
 
Mr. Luther sun bathing.
 
Mother and Daughter, so cute.
 
Ms. Ayla
 
Breakfast with the babies before they get let out in the pasture for the day!
 

Goats saying good bye to Wayne as he goes to work!
 
Ms. Silver making her escape from the chicken yard!
 
I really love how the kids see things here as I have said before. I get so interested in the every day to day of Cranberry Acre, I sometimes forget to slow down and see the pure joy of it all. The kids see it all the time and Ayla, my little farmer, enjoys every min. she has out there. This is a great lesson to be taught by my little ones. Everyone needs to stop and just look around at what you have, whether it's a farm or just your home. When I remember to do this I smile, because there is so much here to smile about and sometimes, I guess, to just laugh about. As adults we look at the world around us as a race, for what I do not know. As children they see the play and fun of it all, the little unexpected joys of the smaller things in life. I envy them and take pleasure in their view of life here on Cranberry Acre.
Thank you Ms. Ayla and Mr. Wyatt for my reminder of why we do this!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 











































No comments:

Post a Comment