Monday, June 2, 2014

How do you get from one side to the other?

It takes a chicken!
 
 
We have opened the second pasture to the goats this week and boy has it been exciting. As I said in a Blog before we had decided to split the back yard into two pastures, A Winter/Spring and a Summer/ Fall pasture. I went ahead and dewormed the goats waited a couple of days and opened the gates! First let me tell you I have two goats ( Bella and Sparkles), who are not morning goats, but on this morning they were.
As soon as I opened the gate everyone was up and in the new field. Luther has been eating until the sun doesn't shine. While the Does are taking it in strides, eating then napping.
 
Ms. Griffin has a girly appetite so she never eats too much, but we have to watch Luther, he doesn't know when to stop and has had a few uncomfortable nights and breaks from the pasture.
When we split the fence we figured that the chickens and the Three Stooges would just stay in the old pasture goat free. Well Short Stuff had other plans!
 
The little monster found a space that she can fit under and go back and forth between the fields. My whinny cat, Pico would cry and cry to be let into the old field, she just couldn't figure out how to get back and forth.
Ms. Pico would watch from under the barn the chickens on the other side. Kinda felt sorry she hadn't figured it out yet, until she watched the chicken. As I said "It takes a chicken".
 
Took her a bit, but she did it!
Now she is just a happy cat on the other side of the fence, close to her humans again.
 
Ms. Ayal and Ms. Pico! Oh yes and Red in the back, who is now trying to figure out how to get to the other side of the fence also.
 
Trying to curve the goats appetite, I tried to give them hay in the morning before they went out to graze in the new grass, but I started a fight. We had the whole King of The Mountain fight and our little Prince..
 
Won!
He now thinks he can take on his mother JoJo, but has been beat down pretty hard over it. He will learn.
 
I had sort of forgot that the building we are tearing down is being stored in the new pasture, I have now created a playground for the goats and Ms. Sparkles has claimed it as her own. She stayed on this pile for a good while threatening anyone who tried to lay a hoof on it. The drama of a pasture, I swear.
 
Ms. Copper and Ms. Coal have gained a new friend in the pasture, Ms. Silver. Silver has taken upon herself to show them the ropes of the pasture. She corrects them when they need it and breaks up their little fights when they start. They listen for the most part, but there are times that they don't and Silver just walks away.
 
I'm kinda wondering why I ever bought chicken watering cans, because all they ever do is drink out of the bowls that were Corona's.
 
I'm at a point of having to put them in the Chicken Yard at night because they act like they are dehydrated when I let them out in the morning. They have a watering can but refuse to use them, Silly Birds!
 
The new babies are flapping and running all around in their cage. I have started to let them outside in an old rabbit cage so they have the feel of grass and get to know the other birds. They are so funny, I was folding Laundry and everyone got quite, I looked over and saw them peeking over the cardboard to see what I was doing. I guess I'm chicken TV.
 
This weekend a friend of ours gave us a cage that you can use as a playground for your little furry friends. Well Mr. Ginny and Mr. Dumbo loved it! Oh yes Ms. Ayla  loved it also. If I had only known how easy it was to trap my child in a cage, the Terrible Threes would have been so much easier! Was a great gift and we are having fun watching the Guinea pigs play in it.
 
I have said I have a passion for glass and Pyrex, well here are two pieces that a friend gave me. I love this pattern, but it's sort of hard to find cheap enough to own, since it's a want, not a need item. She got really lucky with these two pieces and I love them.
 
Our garden took a real god beating this last week. We had some pretty rough ands stormy days with hail. My Brandy Wine tomatoes have holes in their leaves but I think they are going to make it. My poor Rhubarb took some hail damage, but seems to be taking it like a champ also. I had to plant some more plants this past week, I had some rows that were not producing well, so instead of waiting I tilled them in and planted squash, sunflowers, and peppers! We will see how this will go in a few weeks.
 
I will be at the Farmer's Market in Independence this Friday, I would love to meet you if you can come out!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment