Saturday, June 7, 2014

We have a new family member on Cranberry Acre!

Lovey
 
I'm writing this early because we will not be here and so much is going on here on the farm I wanted to share before I forgot!
 
 
We have a new member of the family who has come to live here at Cranberry Acre. This is Lovey the Duck! Her story is sad but she now has a happy ending. A friend of ours had called us a few months back and asked if we would take a blind duck, at first I wasn't so sure it would work, but then after I heard her story, I believed we could make room for her. She was attacked by a dog and her eyes were damaged, she is blind in one eye and we believe the other eye she sees enough to get out of the way, so it works! The animals on our farm have never seen a duck, so the introduction to them was kinda funny. They thought she was an alien! The goats stomped their feet and watched Lovey as she got out of her carrier, and the chickens....well they wanted nothing to do with her. The Stooges really didn't care.
 
It has taken Lovey a day but she has found her flock, yes she is following the Stooges and Red!
It seems to work for everyone, so there you have it. We now have a one eyed guinea nd a one eyed duck! A bunch of misfits on the farm, but they all get along so well.
 
Curly and Larry have been laying eggs, they could be fertile due to Mo, but we do not know. I found their nest the other day and was shocked to find, not a guinea on the nest but,
 
Ms. Silver! Bless her heart she is trying to hatch Guinea eggs. I need to candle these eggs and find out which ones are okay, but she has been laying on them and I do not want to scare her off.
 
Wyatt and Ayla decided to make Lemonade to sell at the Farmer's Market on Friday. I was so proud of them. Since I didn't have an electronic juicer the kids had to do it the old fashion way...
 
With my Vintage juicer! It works but they did learn that it took awhile and why lemonade is soooo expensive when you buy it fresh! After all that they have decided to keep the lemonade stand going at the market, I'm so proud of them. What valuable lessons they are learning by doing this and I'm glad they are.
 
My new Up cycled item! My husband and I worked together on this lamp. The base is a piece of old barn wood and a license plate. The rest is a 1950's Atlas jar and an old enamel strainer! I love this lamp and if I don't sell it, well it will have a home, I will make sure of that!
 
Today was a yard work day and the goats love it because when Wayne is done trimming the bushes, well they get all the cuttings!  We had happy goats this morning, very happy goats.
 
Mr. Luther, after I was done cleaning the barn this morning decided he would check it out. Well he loved it so much he pottied in it! Anyone who has critters know this feeling of accomplishment which is then followed by that animal saying Thank you in an oh such loving way. I could have killed him, but who could yell at a face like that?
 
Oh the babies!
They have been spending warm and sunny days in a rabbit cage that is flipped upside down so they can get their toes in the grass. They love it! The other chickens will come by and graze with them when they are out there, very cute indeed.
 
This year in the garden I have decided to spread out the barn manure in the garden between the rows. Goat manure is kinda like rabbit manure and really doesn't burn your plants, so to help with the weeds and to put more Nitrogen in the ground, I started doing this with the shavings and manure from the barn. We will see how it works!
 
My baby Kale, is looking so good, I just can't wait to harvest this stuff, but sadly I will have too! It just soooo pretty!
 
I have a surprise plant and I love surprises! I was weeding the garden and as I was leaving noticed this squash plant. I'm not 100% what kind, but I have a feeling it is a pumpkin, so I told Wayne NOT to cut it with the weed eater and we will see what it turns into. I bet Pumpkin, anyone else want to guess?
 
Lord who needs a Bulldozer when you have your son and his friends out at the Spring? These kids have dug out my Spring so the water would be better for the tadpoles and the Duck! They have almost been knee deep in this mud, and are still at it in the heat of the day. To be a kid again playing in the mud, awesome!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment