Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Gluten - Free life

What a surprise!
 
I tell you the closer I get to 40 the more I feel like I'm falling apart! I have been battling with an allergy which I couldn't put my finger on and neither could my Doctor. I started just trial and error with some things to see what was causing it. Over the past few years my symptoms were getting worse and then this year it was bad. I'm allergic to a few things, spider bites, and have had a sensitivity to some chemicals in some things, so  I've always been very careful around spiders, also never trying new products without a small trial. It was a surprise when  I woke up one morning covered in hives, all over my chest and down my arms.
 I checked for spider bit, no spider bit and haven't changed a darn thing with anything we use at the house. I went to the Walk- In Clinic, got a shot in the bum and was sent home with meds with the diagnosis of you are allergic to something. I wanted to say "No S*&T", but refrained from saying anything. After a round of meds it was now about Thanksgiving, I love to bake and cook, so of course I over baked and cooked. That night I had some hives come up in the same spot small but they were there. I talked to a friend and she mention that the Laundry detergent that I use might have changed it's chemical make-up, so I went to making my own Laundry detergent ( recipe in the Items I love, page, soon). Tried this for a week, the redness was gone but, I was still itching! Got a refill of my meds from before, it seemed to go away. The day after Christmas I was a mess again! Hives down my arms again and back on my chest. I was so tired of hearing "Well what has changed in your life, detergents, soaps, deodorant....." NOTHING! In January while talking to a friend, she had said something about possibly being allergic to Gluten, it had passed my mind but I really wanted to rule out everything else. I had worked in the Veterinary field for 13 years and thought it has to be something I'm eating, but nothing was new to my diet. She had explained some of her symptoms which sounded pretty much like mine, so I went to my Doctor with this idea. I wasn't able to see her for about a month and a half, so decided to try my own experiment with the Gluten. Meaning cutting it from my diet, Uggggg, I'm a girl who loves bread, cakes, cookies, biscuits, I bake so I've never known a life without flour!
I went out to my local grocery store and started researching this new diet, it's expensive, but if I don't itch like a dog with fleas, it will be worth it, I hope. I got some sliced bread, some breakfast bars, some pasta, and I bought a pancake, baking mix, because it was cheaper then me getting all those different flours to try. It only took a week! By day 3 of me not having wheat, my hives were gone. I went ahead and trialed this for a week to see if there was something else going on. Then one day I messed up early in the morning, I wanted a bagel darn it, so I had one, and then a wheat bread sandwich at lunch, didn't take long after that. Hives all over my arms, and I was scratching without really knowing. My husband kept saying "quite itching", I really had no idea I was doing it. How depressing, I need new recipes to bake with, because I can't do life without bread, and good bread! I bought some sliced bread that was Gluten free, I was happy to find it, I could have a sandwich, because they are a mainstay in my diet. Well after eating a sandwich made from this wonderful bread, it looked like I had been mugged by a songbird. I had chunks of this dry, chunky, none tasting bread left all over my body, it was a mess and it really isn't a good idea to eat this sandwich when you are driving, not good at all.
I will say I do feel better,stomach and my skin are better. This is an allergy and  not celiac disease, so I am blessed with that diagnosis, it's just a hard thing to be doing something for almost 38 years and being told "You can't eat that or you are going to itch". I am going to say I cheat and will have cookies because I can't stand it anymore, but of course within 25 min I itch. I'm collecting recipes and slowly going threw them, like I said it's a retraining thing. Old dog new tricks! I wanted to share this with you all because, I was lost with what was going on. Doctors told me, it was an allergy gave me drugs and sent me home. I had to figure it out on my own, which I did, but I really shouldn't have to.

Going to share a recipe that I have. Now I haven't tried it yet, but I'm going to this weekend after I get the ingredients for it ( we only shop every 2 weeks for grocery with our budget). Looks like it will stop the crave for having a cookie, win for me!

Chocolate chip cookie dough balls

2 ripe bananas
1 cup of quick oats
1/2 cup of chocolate chips
1 heaping spoonful of peanut butter
Mix all of these ingredients until it looks like cookie dough and not banana mixed with something. Nice and smooth, then plop spoonfuls or roll into balls and place on a cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 min.

I am trying this! I Love cookies, I hate the scratching involved when I fall off the Gluten Free wagon.

No comments:

Post a Comment