Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Project day!!!!!

Before I get to the project....
What a surprise yesterday to get a call from the school of a 2 hour delay, I can't tell you how it felt to know I would also be delayed on my seed starts! By 8:30 am our little farm looked like this and the school called to say they were canceled!
The monument was beautiful....
Other than that, I really couldn't find the beauty in it all this time. Just disappointment of knowing that another day of frozen earth, no seed starts. I'm almost at the point today of going to the store and buying a bag, but feel if Mother Nature is doing this maybe there is a reason for it all.
We ventured out into the snow around 9:30 am there was already about an inch of snow, maybe more, never really good with the measurement thing. The animals had finally decided to come out of the barn to eat. JoJo and her kids that is. Bella and Sparkles wanted nothing to do with that snow.
Our whole farm was covered in a thick blanket of white and we had no idea how long it would stick around. Yesterday it snowed all day until about 3pm, the sun came out, but it was bone cold with the wind. Cranberry Acre started to move around a little. Even the big babies finally came out!
 
Mr Bayne removed himself from my bed finally to see the world around that time also.
 
Seemed like we were finally done with the snow, except for that darn wind, just soooo cold. Well this morning we were awakened by the phone at 5:30 am to say they were delayed again. Yep snow during the night, but at least it was a dusting and not several inches, so they will be going to school!
 
Had to share some darling pictures of my daughter Aylas and Mr. Luther. I have a tub of Greek yogurt to use up so Ayla gave him a treat last night. Luther has gotten to the point when he sees a syringe he comes running to be fed. We have created a monster!
It was just a cute moment to see them like that. Might be the mom in me, but I was so proud to see her wanting to learn these things. All of my knowledge is moving on to my children. In this day and age it is so hard to show your children the importance of these things and have it stick. There is so much distraction out there, with the newest gadgets, that children get wrapped up in it. It brings a smile to my face to see we have done our job here, they know there is more to life and accomplishment can be, saving the life of an animal here on the farm. That is a job well done on a farm! Everything is worth it to me in times like this, that is why I wanted to share it with you all. Ayla enjoys the farm life and loves everything about it, she is the next generation, there is hope!
 
A fun thing to do.
 
I thought I would share a fun thing to do with your whole family. Tile decorating! I had seen on Pinterest, where people were doing plates and coffee mugs this way, I had tiles from a different art project and thought to myself, why not draw on tiles? I sat down with some Sharpie markers,
and started to draw. I doodle all the time so this was a great project while I sat down with the kids at night.
This is what you need:
Some nice white tiles ( I use 4x4 tiles because this is what I have) or use some old tiles that someone wants to throw away!
Rubbing alcohol
Sharpie Markers
Baking sheet
Oh yes an Oven!
 
Directions:
First you will need to wipe down the tiles with Rubbing Alcohol and let them air dry. This is when I doodle on some paper to see what I may want to do on the tiles in front of me. Now you draw on your tile. Don't worry about making a mistake, I found that the Sharpie marker will wipe off pretty well if you do, but this also means you need to make sure you do not drag your hand across the tile as you draw, it will smear! While you are doing this pre heat your oven to 350 degrees. I cover my baking sheet with aluminum foil, because I also bake with these and sometimes when they are washed by the kids, and things are left behind, which makes it sticky! You can do whatever you feel like doing, I just know my baking wear sometimes isn't washed they way I want them :), so we cover for this project!
( I know in this picture it wasn't covered, I just placed the already finished on a cookie sheet to show you what to do)
 Place the tile on the baking sheet and bake for 30 min. This is very IMPORTANT, after 30 mins, turn off the oven and leave the tiles in there to cool. I say important, because the first batch I did, they set the marker, but when I washed it, the marker came off. The ones I left in there to cool overnight I have washed with a cloth, NOT a scrubby pad, several times and the maker has stayed on.
 
I am going to use mine as artwork in the house, by framing the tiles with old barn wood. I have a glass cutter for my drill press and I am going to let the kids do some as Christmas ornaments for family, as presents. We will just glue down some felt to the back of them and also glue some decorative ribbon alone the edge to make it look pretty. I could also see these being used as a back splash or coasters, I believe you could do whatever with these and turn them into great keep sakes for someone. Have fun we have had a blast!
 

 

2 comments:

  1. These are lovely! I love the colours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much fun to do these and the kids love to do them also.

    ReplyDelete